Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built 1818, now in use as hotel. Shared M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west to rear, hidden behind rebuilt brick parapet with granite coping, shared brown brick chimneystack having clay pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond to upper wall to front (south) elevation, masonry platband over lined-and-ruled render to ground floor, carved granite plinth course over lined-and-ruled render to basement. Square-headed windows throughout with raised render reveals, granite sills, replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Wrought-iron bars to basement window opening. Round-headed door opening with moulded masonry surround and masonry doorcase comprising panel moulded entablature with cornice surmounted by plain fanlight over panelled pilasters with fluted consoles. Timber panelled door opening onto granite platform and steps flanked by wrought-iron railings having cast-iron corner posts and finials on carved granite plinth wall, returning to enclose basement area to front. Located towards west end and north side of Pearse Street.
Pearse Street, formerly Great Brunswick Street, was laid out by the Wide Street Commission in the early nineteenth century. This is one of a terrace of four houses along the north side of the street, which formerly served as offices for solicitors, a hotel, British Army recruitment headquarters, and a sub-post office amongst other uses, testifying to the versatility of these buildings and the eclectic mix of businesses on Pearse Street. Although it has lost some original internal fabric, it retains its form and character. Lined-and-ruled render to the ground floor and cut granite details provide subtle textural contrast with the red brick façade. The building shares a parapet height and fenestration pattern with its neighbours, creating a sense of continuity on the streetscape. The railings to the front attest to the skill and artisanship involved in the manufacture of mass-produced ironwork, contributing to the overall heritage value of the composition.