Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached two-bay four-storey former house and shop, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as offices. Recent platform roof behind cut granite parapet with carved granite cornice. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond to upper walls, cut granite platband over ashlar granite to ground floor. Square-headed windows to upper floors, having granite sills, and three-over-three pane and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows, moulded render architraves to first floor. Shopfront comprising carved granite arcade with central elliptical-headed opening flanked by round-headed openings, panelled pilasters supporting carved architraves, platband at impost level. Replacement uPVC windows and doors to openings. Situated to east of Burgh Quay.
The houses fronting on to Burgh Quay were designed to the standard of the Wide Street Commission. These buildings were constructed in the early nineteenth century, when Aston Quay and George's Quay were joined to create Burgh Quay. As well as a residence over the shop, this building was used as a corn merchant's office, part of the Tivoli Theatre, and by the Irish Press. The retention of the stone entablature and arcaded shopfront, is replicated on some of the neighbouring buildings, suggesting that this was the original shopfront for the terrace. It retains much of its original form and character, a shared parapet height and cornice and fenestration arrangement with its neighbours, creating a sense of unity on the streetscape. Carved granite detailing is used to good effect on the cornice and the original arcaded shopfront, providing textural and tonal variation to the red brick of the façade. The symmetry of the shopfront creates a pleasingly balanced façade, the quality of artisanship apparent in its execution makes it an attractive focal point.