Categories of Special Interest
Byrne, Barry and Co.
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house over shop, built c.1820, having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as shop. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west, behind cut granite parapet with carved granite cornice. Shared brown brick chimneystack having clay pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls. Square-headed windows with masonry sills, six-over-three pane and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed door and window openings having recent fittings to shopfront. Situated to centre of Burgh Quay.
The houses fronting on to Burgh Quay were designed to the standard of the Wide Street Commission, and built in the early nineteenth century on land which had been cleared to connect Aston Quay to George's Quay. As well as a residence over the shop, this building has served as a canvas and sacking manufacturer's offices, a marine engineer's office, and wine and spirit merchants, attesting to the significance of trade at the quays to the commercial heart of Dublin. Although the arcaded stone shopfront, of a type which was common to each of the buildings in this group, has been replaced or covered, this building retains much of its traditional form and character, including timber sliding sash windows, which add to the patina of age evident in the composition. A shared parapet height, cornice and fenestration rhythm with its neighbours to the east and west create a unified façade, making a positive contribution to the streetscape.