Survey Data

Reg No

50020295


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Previous Name

T.P.Wilson / Greene Bros.


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

12/03/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited attached two-bay four-storey over basement former house and shop, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (north) elevation and three-bay elevation to Hawkins Street (west) elevation. Now in retail use. Pitched slate roof, hipped to front and set perpendicular to street, hidden behind cut granite parapet with carved granite cornice to Burgh Quay, granite coping to Hawkins Street, shared brick chimneystack. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to upper floors to front, cut granite platband over ashlar granite to ground floor, brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to west, cut granite quoins and granite plinth course to west. Square-headed window openings with raised render reveals and granite sills, having six-over-three pane and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows upper floors. Segmental-headed window openings to ground floor to west, moulded masonry surrounds, timber fixed pane windows and plain fanlights, flush masonry sills. Shopfront to front comprising carved granite arcade with central elliptical-headed opening flanked by round-headed openings, panelled pilasters supporting carved architraves, platband at impost level, recent fascia and entablature. Timber framed display windows having plain fanlights, panelled risers. Square-headed door opening to west with raised render reveal, replacement half-glazed timber door with overlight. Elliptical-headed door opening to west having moulded masonry surround, cornice and spoked fanlight, and replacement half-glazed timber panelled door. Granite pavement and kerb to west, steel-framed basement lights to front and west elevations. Situated to centre of Burgh Quay, at junction with Hawkins Street.

Appraisal

Formerly part of the estate of the Bishop of Cloyne, the Wide Street Commission set the standard for house construction on these newly created stone-walled quays in the early nineteenth century. The streetscape was established after houses formerly constructed to the river's edge were cleared to join Aston's Quay to George's Quay at the beginning of the 1800s. The retention of the stone entablature and arcaded shopfront, is replicated on some of the neighbouring buildings, suggesting that this was the original shopfront for the terrace. In 18550 it was recorded as the premises of T.P. Wilson, seedsman and in 1862 Greene Bros., grain and seed merchants, were in occupation. It retains much of its original form and character, sharing a parapet height and fenestration arrangement with its neighbours, creating a sense of unity on the streetscape. Cut and carved granite detailing is used to good effect to enhance the facade, providing textural and tonal variation to the brick walls.