Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced corner-sited two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1820, having further three-bay elevation with shared bow bay to east elevation. Recent shopfront to east and south elevations, now in use as public house. Hipped slate roof, hidden behind brick parapet with cut granite coping, shared rendered chimneystacks with clay pots. Cast-iron rainwater goods to walls. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, cast-iron wall-ties to east elevation, cut granite quoins. Square-headed window openings having raised render reveals, masonry sills, replacement three-over-three pane and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window and door openings to recent shopfront. Situated to east and north side of College Street.
The building's bowed façade (shared with 50020272) was mirrored by a corresponding bowed façade on the corner of Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street) and Townsend Street, replaced by Pearse Street Garda Station (50020309)in 1913 - although the replacement building kept the bow end in its design. The buildings were designed and built shortly after the Wide Street Commission laid out the western extent of Pearse Street, replacing a terrace of older houses. Its distinctive curved façade with cut stone quoins, and its maintenance of parapet height and fenestration arrangement with the neighbouring buildings, make the block a notable piece of city design and the building an eyecatching addition to the streetscape.