Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Public house


1810 - 1830


316089, 234223

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as public house and hostel. Hipped slate roof concealed behind rebuilt yellow brick parapet with granite coping, cast-iron rainwater goods, shared red brick chimneystack with clay pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, cast-iron air brick to first floor. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills, raised rendered reveals, three-over three pane and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Basement lights to front flanked by granite paviers, now blocked. Shopfront comprising timber console brackets with carved acanthus leaf and marigold details, painted fascia, recent pilasters and square-headed window openings on panelled risers. Square-headed door opening having timber panelled and half-glazed timber panelled doors. Located on east end of College Street.


This building maintains the parapet height and fenestration arrangement of its neighbours, contributing positively to the streetscape. The warm colours and patina of age evident in the brick contribute positively to the local streetscape. The diminishing window openings are characteristic of the period, creating a pleasingly balanced fa├žade. In 1862 this was the premises of Ryan & Son, military tailors and habit makers.