Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1820, having recent shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as shop. Shared hipped slate roof concealed behind red brick parapet with granite coping, shared rendered and red brick chimneystacks having clay pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, cast-iron wall tie plates. Square-headed window openings with sills, rendered reveals and replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed basement lights, now blocked. Shopfront comprising timber cornice with decorative lead work, recent pilasters square-headed display window over panelled riser, square-headed door opening having double-leaf glazed timber door. Square-headed door opening with timber pediment, panelled timber pilasters, overlight and timber panelled door. Some granite paving. Located on east end of College Street.
Retaining a beautifully restrained doorcase and parts of an original shopfront, this building retains a strong historic character. The decorative lead work over the cornice is a pragmatic yet aesthetically pleasing detail, while the hand moulded red brick walls help create a sense of unity and continuity in this small terrace of four buildings, contributing positively to the streetscape. The site has a long commercial history, and in 1862 was the College Hotel and Tavern, the premises of a John Walsh. It forms an interesting part of the commercial and social history of the street.