Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced corner-sited two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1820, with three-bay block to Fleet Street having shared bow bay forming entrance front to east elevation. Recent shopfront to front (east) and north elevations. Now in use as public house. Hipped roof, hidden behind rendered parapet having render coping, shared rendered chimneystack with clay pots, cast-iron rainwater goods. Smooth rendered walls having recessed platbands, exposed granite quoins. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed door and window openings to recent shopfront. Opening to basement to north elevation, recent steel doors. Sited to east of Fleet Street, to south of street.
The building's bowed facade (shared with 50020276) was mirrored by a corresponding bowed façade on the corner of Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street) and Townsend Street, replaced by Pearse Street Garda Station (50020309)in 1913 - although the replacement building kept the bow end in its design. The buildings were designed and built shortly after the Wide Street Commission laid out the western extent of Pearse Street, replacing a terrace of older houses. Its distinctive curved facade with cut stone quoins, and its maintenance of parapet height and fenestration arrangement with the neighbouring buildings, make the block a notable piece of city design and the building an eye-catching addition to the streetscape.