Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social

Original Use



1790 - 1810


316010, 234297

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay five-storey former house and shop, built c.1800, having recent double-height shopfront to front (west) elevation. Now disused. Flat roof with recent extension concealed behind smooth rendered parapet having masonry coping, yellow brick chimneystack with clay pots. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having render quoins. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows, continuous masonry sill course to fourth floor windows and carved architraves to first floor windows. Recent timber pilasters and fascia, square-headed window and door openings to shopfront, limestone plinth course, brass sill to display window. Sited to east of Westmoreland Street.


One of a terrace of four similar houses with retail outlets, designed by Henry Aaron Baker (1753-1836), each of which had a mezzanine level to the shop. This building maintains the parapet height and fenestration alignment of its neighbours, creating a sense of uniformity on the streetscape. The original carved stone dressings of the first floor windows and ashlar cornice are found on many facades on Westmoreland Street, lending continuity to the streetscape. They provide artistic interest to the classically restrained façade, and lend textural variation. Although the shopfront is recent, the brass sill of the display window may have been a part of the earlier shopfront. Westmoreland Street, named after the tenth Earl of Westmoreland, was developed by the Wide Street Commissioners in the late eighteenth century as part of a network of streets connecting the newly built Carlisle Bridge (now O’Connell Bridge) and College Green.