Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Historical, Technical
In Use As
1965 - 1970
Freestanding bronze statue of Thomas Davis, executed by Edward Delaney, erected 1966. Surmounting square-profile dressed granite pedestal having incised name plaque to front (east) elevation. Circular fountain with four bronze figures, enclosed by parapet comprising glazed panels alternating with dressed granite blocks, having inset bronze panels. Inscribed plaque inset to footpath to front of monument. Located on traffic island to centre of College Green facing Trinity College.
This statue of the Irish writer and politician, Thomas Davis, a leader of Irish nationalist thought in the early nineteenth century, is located on the site of the former equestrian statue of William of Orange. The unveiling in 1966 was attended by the then president, Eamon De Valera. The blocky figure set on a tall granite pedestal is executed in Delaney’s trademark expressionist style. The trumpet-blowing heralds surrounding the fountain represent the four provinces, while the inset panels enclosing the basin depict a famine scene, as well as scenes from Davis' poetry. The setting, facing Trinity College where Davis studied, is enhanced by the adjoining fountain. The use of Celtic script, reading ‘Tomás Dáib(h)is/1814-1845’, reflects a renewed interest the promotion of Irish national identity, some fifty years on from the Easter Rising. This monument forms part of a group of important public statuary located in College Green and within the boundary railings of Trinity College.