Survey Data

Reg No

50020231


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Previous Name

Fottrell & Mooney


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Office


In Use As

Public house


Date

1790 - 1810


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

03/04/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1800, with shopfront to front (west) elevation. Now in use as restaurant and public house. Hipped slate roof, set perpendicular to street, hidden behind rendered parapet with granite coping, cast-iron rainwater goods breaking through parapet. Smooth rendered walls. Square-headed openings with raised rendered reveals, masonry sills, two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor and replacement casement windows to second and third floors. Timber shopfront to ground floor comprising fluted timber pilasters on timber panelled bases having timber fascia with scrolled ends and cornice, square-headed display windows having timber mullions and transoms on timber panelled stall risers, square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and overlight Situated to east side and north of Anglesea Street.

Appraisal

Anglesea Street was largely developed by the mid-eighteenth century and appears on John Rocque's 1756 map of Dublin. A house, workshop and yard, occupied by a Laurence S. Byrne at this addressed appeared in Griffith's mid nineteenth century Primary Valuation. The building, which was altered at the turn of the century, to designs by James Purcell Wrenn, for Messers Fottrell & Mooney, solicitors, was recorded as offices in the 1901 census and as a dwelling and offices in the 1911 census. Timber sliding sash windows lend to the patina of age of the composition, while the handsome shopfront adds decorative interest at street level.