Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Previous Name

Edward T. Smiths

Original Use


In Use As



1790 - 1810


315823, 234168

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1800, with recent shopfront to front (west) elevation. Now in use as hostel, restaurant and public house. Hipped slate roof, set perpendicular to street, hidden behind rendered parapet having masonry coping, cast-iron rainwater goods breaking through parapet. Smooth rendered walls with recent fasciae. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Situated to east and north of Anglesea Street.


Anglesea Street was largely developed by the mid-eighteenth century and appears on John Rocque’s 1756 map of Dublin. A house, workshop and yard, occupied by a Edward T. Smith, picture manufacturer, are recorded in Griffith’s Primary Valuation at this address. A dwelling is recorded in the 1901 census while a dwelling and shop is recorded in the 1911 census. The decreasing scale of fenestration creates a pleasingly balanced façade, giving prominence to the reception rooms of the lower floors, while the retention of timber sliding sash windows contributes to the patina of age evident in the composition. This modest building adds to the architectural character of the streetscape.