Survey Data

Reg No

50020226


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social


Previous Name

R. Purdy


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1790 - 1810


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

02/04/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited terraced two-bay five-storey former house and shop over basement, built c.1800, with recent wraparound shopfront to front (east) and south elevations. Now in use as retail outlet. M-profile roof, front span hipped to north, L-plan rear span, hipped to south, hidden behind rendered parapet having granite coping, rendered chimneystack with clay pots. Smooth rendered walls having ashlar granite cornice over third floor, channelled rendered walls to ground floor of south elevation. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, cornice forming continuous sill course to fourth floor, first floor windows having carved granite architraves and entablatures, three-over-three pane and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Blind square-headed window opening to south elevation. Square-headed door opening to south elevation with recent polished granite pilasters, entablature, cornice and steps, panelled timber door. Situated to west side and centre of Westmoreland Street.

Appraisal

Westmoreland Street, named after the tenth Earl of Westmoreland, was developed by the Wide Street Commissioners in the late eighteenth century as part of a network of streets connecting the newly built Carlisle Bridge (now O'Connell Bridge) and College Green. This building formed part of a unified terrace, designed by Henry Aaron Baker (1753-1836), of five-storey buildings formerly with stone shopfronts to the front. As new commercial and financial uses were introduced to the street in the second half of the nineteenth century, many façades were remodelled. Although now rendered, this building has retained its original proportions and the original carved stone dressings of the first floor windows and ashlar cornice, lending continuity to the streetscape. They provide artistic interest and textural variation to the classically restrained façade. A house and yard, occupied by James Cooper, is recorded in Griffith's Primary Valuation at this address.