Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1905 - 1925
Freestanding cast-iron pillar post box, erected c.1915. Shallow domed cap with fluted cornice, moulded neck and plinth. Curved door to front (west) elevation, with integrated handle. Raised ‘GR’ royal cypher and lettering ‘POST OFFICE’ to central panel to front (west) elevation. Makers mark reading ‘McDowall Steven & Co. Ltd. London & Glasgow’ to base. Located on footpath on west side of Westmoreland Street.
A well-preserved early twentieth-century pillar post box. Supplied by McDowall Steven & Company (fl. 1904-present) of London and Glasgow, it is an early example of mass-produced cast-iron work, and makes a notable, if modest, contribution to the streetscape. Raised moulded detailing enlivens what would otherwise be a solely functional object, while the royal cipher of George V (reigned 1910-1936) is a reminder of Ireland's colonial past as part of the British Empire.