Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1930 - 1950
Corner-sited terraced two-bay four-storey with attic commercial and apartment building, built c.1940, having angled corner bay, three-bay elevation to east, and recent wraparound shopfront to front (south) and east elevations. Mansard slate roof with recent dormer windows, partly hidden behind parapet with ashlar granite coping. Carved granite eaves course over red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond, carved granite cornice to second floor and smooth rendered walls to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with granite sills having six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and timber Wyatt windows to east elevation. Square-headed openings having recent fittings to shopfront. Square-headed door opening to west of shopfront to front, timber panelled door and overlight. Located at junction of Fleet Street and Prices Lane.
Price's Lane was first recorded in the early eighteenth century and was fully developed on John Rocque's map of Dublin in 1756. The original buildings between Fleet Street and Aston Quay were replaced over time and little fabric of early date survives. The buildings in this block were demolished in the 1930s and subsequently rebuilt in a restrained classical style to house a variety of manufacturing and retail uses. The fenestration pattern and continuous granite cornices and parapet create a sense of uniformity, with the angled corner bay repeated to the west end, contributing to the impression of the group as a cohesive unit. Much of the Fleet Street block was clad in render and composite stone in the late twentieth century but this building retains its original form and detailing.