Survey Data

Reg No

50020206


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Previous Name

Engineers & Merchants


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1870 - 1890


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

23/03/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited attached two-bay three-storey commercial premises, built c.1880, with angled corner bay, wraparound shopfront to front (north) and east elevations and two-bay elevation to east. Pitched slate roof, hipped to front, hidden behind smooth rendered parapet and coping, having red brick chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered cornice and fascia over red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, red brick laid in English garden wall bond to wall to south elevation, moulded red brick cornice over first floor, painted sign visible to first floor to front. Segmental-headed window openings with chamfered brick voussoirs, raised keystones and entablatures to first floor. Square-headed window openings having red brick keystones, flush granite sills. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Blind round-headed window opening with flush granite sill to east elevation. Round-headed door opening with glazed door to east elevation. Rendered shopfront having square-headed openings with recent fittings. Situated to east of Aston Quay.

Appraisal

Aston Quay was laid out c.1680 on land reclaimed from the River Liffey and was named after Henry Aston, a Dublin merchant. The original buildings have been replaced over time and little fabric of early date survives. Prosperity in the late nineteenth century led to the rebuilding of a number of the commercial premises on the quay and this building is characteristic of the form and scale of the replacement buildings. The moulded brick window dressings provide subtle decorative interest to the otherwise modest fa├žade, attesting to the quality of machine-made brick in the latter half of the nineteenth century. The retention of the painted inscription, Engineers & Merchants, adds to its social significance. It makes a positive contribution to the architectural heritage and streetscape of Aston Quay.