Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1730 - 1750
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c.1740, having shopfront to front (east) elevation. Façade and interior remodelled 1898. Now in use as offices. Triple span pitched roof, hipped to south end with glazed central span hidden behind swan-neck parapet having masonry coping and urn on scrolled bracket, rendered chimneystack and projecting chimneystack to west (rear) elevation. Smooth rendered walls with moulded date plaque having cornice and central projecting segmental pediment on console brackets, with plinth course. Square-headed window openings with moulded masonry sills and architraves having timber fixed pane and timber casement windows to upper floors. Three-bay arrangement to first floor, square-headed window openings flanking pedimented box bay oriel window, panelled pilasters with foliate brackets flanked by scrolled ends, supporting pulvinated frieze and cornice, carved monogram to tympanum of pediment and timber casement windows having leaded top lights, swagged apron with dentillated cornice having lead flashing, oriel supported on scrolled brackets. Arcaded shopfront comprising fluted pilasters on panelled bases supporting cornice with egg-and-dart motif, round-headed openings with spoked fanlights, fluted surrounds and keystone details, foliate panels to spandrels, square-headed display window openings having timber framed windows, carved sills having Vitruvian scroll motif, on stall risers with decorative iron panels. Square-headed door opening having double-leaf timber panelled door with marble step. Late nineteenth century interior with corner chimneybreast to front room, centrally placed timber staircase, timber wainscoting, decorative petal rooflight to rear room. Moulded plaster friezes and spandrels. Situated to west side and north of Anglesea Street.
Though extensively remodelled in 1898 this building, along with those adjoining it to the north, is among the oldest remaining in Temple Bar. Anglesea Street was largely developed by the mid-eighteenth century and appears on John Rocque's 1756 map of Dublin, and the projecting chimneystack suggests the house may date from this time. It is recorded as a house, office and yard in Griffith's Primary Valuation and as a dwelling house and offices in the 1901 and 1911 census. It was remodelled by L.A. McDonnell in the Queen Anne Revival style in 1898, likely to provide office accommodation following the opening of the Irish Stock Exchange opposite. The richly ornamented façade, enlivened by well-executed Classical detail, is an arresting focal point, providing diversity to the architectural character of the street. The late nineteenth-century interior is lit by a large decorative rooflight.