Survey Data

Reg No

50020189


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1730 - 1770


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

18/03/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c.1750, having shopfront to front (east) elevation. Shopfront inserted c.1890. Now in use as massage therapist's. Flat roof hidden behind rebuilt brick parapet with masonry coping, projecting chimneystack to rear (west) elevation. Brown brick walls, laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills and timber casement windows to upper floors. Shopfront comprising fluted masonry pilasters on panelled bases supporting timber fascia with scrolled ends and dentillated cornice, square-headed display window having timber mullions, moulded render sill and transom lights on roughcast rendered stall riser over render plinth course. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and limestone step. Situated to west side and north end of Anglesea Street.

Appraisal

This building, along with those adjoining it to the north and south, is among the oldest remaining buildings in Temple Bar. Anglesea Street was largely developed by the mid-eighteenth century and appears on John Rocque's 1756 map of Dublin. The projecting chimneystack, scale and proportions suggest the house may date from the mid-eighteenth century, forming part of a small collection of eighteenth-century buildings in Temple Bar. It is recorded as a house and small yard in Griffith's Primary Valuation and as offices in the 1901 and 1911 census. The original ground floor treatment has been replaced by a well-executed late nineteenth-century shopfront containing an unusual timber door with cross panels.