Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Attached three-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1830, now in use as shop. Pitched roof hidden behind rendered parapet having masonry coping. Smooth rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash or timber casement windows, those to ground floor having roller shutters. Elliptical-headed door opening with fluted timber pilasters having scrolled console brackets, timber cornice, spoked fanlight, timber panelled door, and granite step.
Crown Alley, a narrow, irregular passageway connecting Temple Bar and Dame Street, was laid out in the early eighteenth century. Following the construction of the Ha’penny Bridge and Merchants’ Hall the Wide Street Commissioners took the opportunity to widen and improve the passageway. While the street was characterised by stores and warehouses in the mid-nineteenth century, Griffith’s Primary Valuation indicates this was a house and remained in domestic and office use in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The modest façade, although it has lost some historic details, is enlivened by a well-executed doorcase, with scrolled consoles and elegant fanlight attesting to a high level of artisanship involved in its composition.