Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Attached former pair of two-bay three-storey former houses over basement, built c.1840, with recent shopfronts to front (east) elevation. Now in commercial use. M-profile pitched roof, set perpendicular to street, hidden behind brick parapet with masonry coping. Painted brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to walls. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills and timber casement windows. Granite kerbing to front, limestone setts to road to east.
Crown Alley, formerly a narrow, irregular passageway connecting Temple Bar and Dame Street, was laid out in the early eighteenth century. Following the construction of the Ha’penny Bridge and Merchants’ Hall the Wide Street Commissioners took the opportunity to widen and improve the passageway. From the mid-nineteenth century the alley was characterised by warehouses and Griffith’s Primary Valuation indicates this former pair of houses was occupied by an office, engine house and yard. The irregularly placed first floor windows, reflecting the interior plan, add visual interest to the brick façade.