Categories of Special Interest
Webb and Co. Merchants
In Use As
1830 - 1880
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1840, rebuilt c.1870, having recent shopfront to front (east) elevation. Now in use as shop. Flat roof, hidden behind rebuilt red brick parapet with render coping and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls to upper floors, smooth rendered wall to ground floor. Square-headed window openings having six-over-six pane and six-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows with granite sills. Shopfront comprising square-headed window opening having rendered reveals and display windows, square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and plain overlight. Granite paving to front. Located on west side of Crow Street between Dame Street and Cecelia Street.
The diminishing upper floor fenestration, a characteristic of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century buildings, creates a pleasingly balanced facade. The square-profiled cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hopper add visual interest to the façade. Crow Street was named after William Crowe who held land in the area in the early seventeenth century and built a house called the 'Crowes Nest'. It was laid out in 1731 on land which is shown as undeveloped on Charles Brooking's map of Dublin dating to 1728. The area was fully developed by the early nineteenth century and became a mixed residential and commercial quarter. Commercial directories do not include this building in 1868 and by 1878 as it had been amalgamated with the neighbouring buildings for use by Webb & Co. Merchants.