Survey Data

Reg No

50020136


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social


Previous Name

Webb and Co. Merchants


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1830 - 1880


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

17/02/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited attached three-bay four-storey former warehouse built c.1870, with chamfered entrance bay to corner and single-bay elevation to east, shopfront to east elevation. Now in use as shop and apartments. Flat roof, hidden behind rebuilt brick parapet with concrete coping and cast-iron rainwater goods. Yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls to ground floor. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls to upper floors. Square-headed openings with six-over-six pane, eight-over-four pane and eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows and granite sills, some blocked. Square-headed openings with timber casement windows over recessed square-headed red brick panels with bull-nosed brick voussoirs to north (front) elevation. Square-headed openings to north elevation, with recent glazed doors and balustrades. Shopfront comprising rendered stall riser supporting square-headed display window opening with rendered fascia. Square-headed door opening to angled entrance bay with double-leaf timber panelled door, carved granite architrave and entablature, nosed limestone steps. Sited at junction of Cecelia Street and Crow Street.

Appraisal

The functional brick exterior is enlivened by the well-executed stone doorcase, and by the retention of timber sliding sash windows to the upper floors. The angled corner bay effectively addresses the junction at Crow Street and Cecelia Street. Crow Street was named after William Crowe who held land in the area in the early seventeenth century and built a house called the 'Crowes Nest'. The street was laid out in 1731 on land which is shown as undeveloped on Charles Brooking's map of Dublin dated to 1728. The area was fully developed by the early nineteenth century and became a mixed residential and commercial quarter. Commercial directories record that 6, 7, 8, and 9 Crow Street, which are shown on the 1847 Ordnance Survey map, were amalgamated in the second half of the nineteenth century for use as a warehouse by Webb & Co. Merchants.