Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1880 - 1885


315658, 234102

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay three-storey commercial building, built 1881, as a pair with building to north. Now in use as restaurant and school. Pitched slate roof and chimneystack, hidden behind red brick parapet having granite coping. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to upper floor walls to front (west) elevation, with masonry cornice over smooth rendered walls having plinth course and rusticated quoins to ground floor, with rusticated quoins to ground floor. Segmental-headed window openings with granite sills to upper floors, two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows and steel bars to first floor windows. Square-headed opening to elongated ground floor shop window having moulded masonry surround, recent fittings and timber battened aprons. Square-headed door opening with timber battened door and plain transom, flanked by panelled pilasters having acanthus leaf console brackets and carved cornice, with granite steps. Granite paving and kerb stones to front. Situated to east side and north of Temple Lane South.


In 1881 this building and the adjoining building to the north replaced earlier structures on site, and together form a robust and substantial frontage. The red brick creates a pleasing tonal contrast with the brown brick and render which dominates the area. The segmental-headed windows, timber windows and granite dressings contribute to the historic character of both the pair and the streetscape. The street became more commercialised in the nineteenth century, as is apparent by this building's use as a grocers and workshop.