Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1830 - 1850


315661, 234126

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited three-bay four-storey former warehouse, built c.1840, now in use as shop, with apartments to upper floors. Flat roof, with rendered parapet to front (north) elevation, yellow brick gabled parapet wall with render coping to east elevation. Smooth rendered wall to front over masonry plinth course. Yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, to west, with dual arcade to ground floor. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills, eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows, eight-over-four pane timber sliding sash window to first floor to front. Round-headed door opening to front with steel-framed glazed doors having plain fanlight and render steps. Square-headed door opening to front with recent double-leaf steel doors and frame, plain transoms and steel glazing bars. Granite paving and kerb stones to front and west. Situated to east side and north of Temple Lane South.


Features such as the gable-fronted elevation and arcaded ground floor are reminders of the building's original use as a warehouse. Temple Lane is a medieval lane, formerly called Hogg's or Hogges Lane in the early-seventeenth century, and later known as Dirty Lane. It was a street of mixed commercial and residential use, with many buildings acting as mews for the houses on Eustace Street and Crown Street. By the nineteenth century, the street was more commercial in character, as evidenced by a number of warehouses, including this building. By the 1890s, it was part of a complex of buildings between Temple Lane, Cecilia Street and Crow Street, utilised by Wood, Webb & Co. Wholesale Grocers.