Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached two-bay three-storey former printworks, built c.1820. Now in use as spa with offices above, having recent shopfront to front (east) elevation. Hipped slate roof, set perpendicular to street, with red brick parapet having granite coping. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front, over smooth rendered wall to ground floor. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows to second floor and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor. Square-headed window and door openings, having glazed display window and timber panelled and glazed doors. Granite paving and kerb stones to front site. Situated to west side and south of Temple Lane South.
Like several other buildings on Temple Lane, this building served as a printworks in the nineteenth century. Its small scale is in keeping with the earlier buildings on the lane, which served the Eustace Street houses as mews buildings in the eighteenth century. Like those buildings, this building maintains a graduated fenestration pattern, granite dressing and good-quality brickwork which provide considerable early character. This simple building contributes to the historic streetscape of Temple Lane.