Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Attached three-bay three-storey former warehouse, built c.1800, now in use as recording studio. Flat roof, hidden behind smooth rendered parapet with concrete coping. Smooth rendered wall to front (east) elevation and cast-iron wall ties. Oculi to second floor having granite surrounds with blocks and keystones, and timber window frames with crossed quadripartite glazing bars. Round-headed windows to first floor with granite sills, cut granite surrounds having keystones, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Central double-height square-headed opening to first and second floors, with glazed screens and timber battened aprons. Square-headed door openings having dressed granite surrounds and keystones, and double-leaf recent timber doors. Elliptical-headed central door opening to having dressed granite surrounds, keystones and voussoirs on plinth blocks, rendered reveals and double-leaf timber battened doors. Granite paviers and kerb stones to front. Situated to west side and north of Temple Lane South.
This unusual building was utilised by Thomas Salt & Co. as stores for East India Pale Ale in the mid-nineteenth century, according to Thom's Directory. It retains many features of its original use as a warehouse, including the large central loading bays and the archway which facilitated horse-drawn carts. The granite detailing and large openings provide a robust, heavy appearance befitting an industrial building. It is a reminder of the former industrial character of Temple Lane South and the adjacent Cecilia Street.