Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1725 - 1745
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c.1735, parapet dating c.1870. Now in use as artist’s studio. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to north, with rendered and red brick chimneystacks, hidden behind red brick parapet with polychrome brick platband and granite coping. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to wall to front (west) elevation over raised rendered plinth course. Smooth rendered wall to south elevation. Square-headed window openings having granite sills, and timber sliding sash windows, three-over-three pane to third floor, six-over-six pane to second floor, nine-over-six pane to first and ground floors, and three-pane louvred timber window to basement. Round-headed door opening with raised chamfered render surround, having recent glazed doors with granite steps. Granite kerb stones to front. Lugged-and-shouldered door architraves to interior, chair rail and modillion cornice to entry hall, and scrolled heavy handrail to closed-string staircase set between front and rear rooms. Situated to east side and north end of Eustace Street.
The land on which this building was constructed was acquired by Peter Ward in 1708, along with the frontage of the adjoining building to the south. The internal plan with the side-orientated staircase is similar to several of the other early eighteenth-century buildings on the street, while the survival of the intact joinery adds to its significance and interest. The polychrome brick detailing of the parapet dates its rebuilding to the late nineteenth century.