Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1870 - 1890


315624, 234157

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house and commercial premises, built c.1880, having shopfront to front (west) elevation. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to north, with chimneystacks to south, and red brick parapet with limestone coping. Moulded red brick eaves course over red brick laid in Flemish bond to front wall, flanked by red brick pilaster quoins, with moulded brick string courses to second and third floor sill level. Yellow brick, laid in English garden wall bond to north elevation, having red brick quoins. Square-headed window openings having limestone sills, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to second and third floors. Canted oriel window to first floor with pebble-clad corbel support, two-over-two pane and four-over-four pane timber sliding sash windows having stained glass overlights, with carved dentillated timber cornice, and metal openwork panels. Timber shopfront comprising fluted Doric pilasters supporting plain fascia with dentillated cornice surrounding square-headed glazed windows with timber transoms, set over carved granite plinth course. Square-headed door openings with plain transoms and timber doors. Situated to east side and north of Eustace Street.


This building's modest frontage is enhanced by the fine-quality brickwork. The oriel window adds interest to the facade, with its decorative stained glass and pebble-cladding contrasting with the refined Classical detailing of the shopfront. Moulded brick detailing to the upper floors attests to the artisanship involved in the manufacture of machine-made brick towards the close of the nineteenth century. It is one of the few Victorian buildings on Eustace Street and is an interesting reminder of the street's continual development over the last three centuries.