Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1810 - 1830


315676, 234219

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1820, having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as hair salon with apartments above. Hipped slate roof set perpendicular to street, hidden behind brown brick parapet having cut granite coping to front, smooth rendered chimneystack with clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick to walls, laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings having cut granite sills, moulded masonry architraves and six-over-six and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed door opening having timber panelled door and overlight. Timber shopfront with pilasters and fluted brackets to fascia. Situated to east end of Wellington Quay.


Wellington Quay was constructed in the early nineteenth century as an eastward extension of the original Custom House Quay. This building retains its early form and some historic fabric, with timber sliding sash windows contributing to the patina of age evident in the composition. The moulded window dressings provide subtle decorative interest and textural variation to the otherwise unadorned fa├žade. Now flanked by buildings of a more recent date, this building is a visual reminder of the early appearance of the quay, and makes a positive contribution to the architectural heritage of the area.