Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1735 - 1755


315563, 234050

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1745, with return to rear (north) elevation and recent shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as hair salon. Pitched slate roof with yellow brick parapet having cut granite coping, and cast-iron hopper. Yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls to front. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, raised render reveals and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, some timber panelled shutters to interior. Recent timber shopfront retaining raised timber window aprons and carved console brackets with acanthus leaf detail, flanking recent fascia. Recent timber panelled door to west and metal door to east.


This building is characteristic of the north side of this section of Dame Street, which retains several mid eighteenth-century buildings. The graduated fenestration betrays its early history, and the acanthus leaf brackets contribute artistic interest to the recent shopfront. Dame Street derives its name from a dam which powered a mill on the River Poddle. One of the principal streets in the city in the eighteenth century, it led from the Parliament House (now Bank of Ireland) to the Castle. Despite the rebuilding of the south side of the street in the late-eighteenth century by the Wide Streets Commissioners, this section of the street retains much of its early Georgian character.