Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1860
Attached two-bay two-storey former workshop, built c.1850, now disused. Hipped roof, set perpendicular to street, hidden behind lined-and-ruled rendered parapet with cut granite coping to front (west) elevation. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having render quoins, and render string course to smooth rendered plinth, with uncoursed rubble limestone visible to plinth. Brown brick visible to north elevation. Round-headed window opening to first floor with cut granite sill and multiple-pane timber framed window. Square-headed window opening to ground floor having masonry sill and one-over-two pane timber sliding sash window, with recent metal grille. Square-headed door opening having recent metal door and grille. Situated on east side of Sycamore Street.
The irregular façade with its large central first floor window is suggestive of a former industrial function. Thom’s Directory of 1862 describes the building as being in use, along with the adjoining three buildings to the south on Dame Street, as a furniture manufacturer. This association is reinforced by the repetition of the opening sizes at ground floor level, continuous plinth course and lined-and-ruled elevation with quoins. It is as a good example of nineteenth century industrial architecture in an urban setting.