Survey Data

Reg No

50020068


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Office


Date

1730 - 1750


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

18/02/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1740, later in use as retail outlet, now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof, with red brick chimneystacks and rendered parapet having render coping. Rendered wall to front (east) elevation with narrow render quoins. Yellow brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to rear (west) elevation. Square-headed window openings having recent concrete sills, six-over-six pane sliding timber sash windows to first and second floors, three-over-six pane sliding timber sash windows to third floor, and paired six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor with central rendered mullion and recent metal surrounds. Square-headed door opening with webbed fanlight, timber panelled door, and flat rendered surround. Granite paving and kerb stones to front. Sited on west side of Eustace Street.

Appraisal

The proportions and scale of this townhouse are typical of the mid eighteenth century. Though now altered at ground floor level, it retains much of its historic form and character, while the timber sash windows and webbed fanlight are noteworthy features. It may have originally been a merchant's house, with a shop or office at the ground floor level and domestic accommodation above. It makes a significant contribution to the varied character of the streetscape.