Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As



1730 - 1750


315600, 234155

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1740, later in use as retail outlet, now in use as offices. M-profile slate roof, with red brick chimneystacks and rendered parapet having render coping. Rendered wall to front (east) elevation with narrow render quoins. Yellow brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to rear (west) elevation. Square-headed window openings having recent concrete sills, six-over-six pane sliding timber sash windows to first and second floors, three-over-six pane sliding timber sash windows to third floor, and paired six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor with central rendered mullion and recent metal surrounds. Square-headed door opening with webbed fanlight, timber panelled door, and flat rendered surround. Granite paviers and kerb stones to front. Sited on west side of Eustace Street.


The proportions and scale of this townhouse are typical of the mid eighteenth century. Though now altered at ground floor level, it retains much of its historic form and character, while the timber sash windows and webbed fanlight are noteworthy features. It may have originally been a merchant's house, with a shop or office at the ground floor level and domestic accommodation above. It makes a significant contribution to the varied character of the streetscape.