Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1910 - 1930
Corner-sited attached single-bay four-storey over basement former house and shop, built c.1920, having wraparound shopfront and three-storey canted bay window to front (south) elevation, with three-bay elevation to east. Now in use as restaurant. Flat roof hidden behind red brick parapet with masonry coping, having red brick chimneystacks with clay pots. Red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond with smooth rendered platbands to front. Moulded masonry cornice to third floor having scrolled console brackets. Square-headed window openings with canted profile to front, having moulded masonry sills, and smooth rendered aprons with garland motifs. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills to east elevation. Replacement uPVC windows throughout. Square-headed window and door openings to recent shopfront. Situated on north side of Dame Street and south end of Sycamore Street.
The embellished and unusual facade contrasts with the architectural character of the streetscape, and enlivens the restrained north side of Dame Street. Moulded masonry adds textural and decorative interest to the crisp red brick. It was reconstructed, to designs by Patrick Mundon, in 1920. The canted bay window is a characteristic feature of townhouses and commercial buildings constructed at this time. Dame Street derives its name from a dam which powered a mill on the River Poddle, and was of considerable importance during the eighteenth century as the thoroughfare between the Parliament House (now Bank of Ireland) and the Castle. It was widened and remodelled by the Wide Streets Commissioners during the latter part of the eighteenth century.