Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


In Use As

Theatre/opera house/concert hall


1740 - 1760


315527, 234056

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1750, having recent shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as office and apartments. Flat roof, hidden behind smooth rendered parapet with masonry coping. Smooth rendered walls. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed door opening with overlight and timber panelled door. Square-headed window and door openings to recent timber shopfront. Situated on north side and centre of Dame Street.


This building shares proportions, scale and parapet height with its neighbours, resulting in a coherent streetscape. This building was in commercial use during the nineteenth and twentieth century, until it was adapted for use by the Olympia Theatre in the late twentieth century. Dame Street derives its name from a dam which powered a mill on the River Poddle, and was of considerable importance during the eighteenth century as it provided a thoroughfare between the Parliament House (now Bank of Ireland) and the Castle. The street was widened and remodelled by the Wide Streets Commissioners during the latter part of the eighteenth century.