Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Attached gable-fronted two-bay five-storey over basement former house and shop, built c.1880, having recent shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as restaurant. Pitched slate roof, hipped to rear (north) elevation, with moulded red brick course beneath rendered coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front having black brick string courses, render platband over shopfront. Twentieth-century 'SEIKO' signage to upper floors of this and adjoining building to west. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront shared with neighbour to west having metal and acrylic cladding, square-headed openings. Metal basement hatch in paving to front. Situated on north side and west of Dame Street.
The fenestration arrangement of the upper floors, gable-fronted form, and polychrome and moulded brick detailing are typical late nineteenth-century features, contributing to the historic character of the street.. The basement hatch inset in the pavement betrays the existence of the historic basement. Dame Street was named after a dam which powered a mill on the River Poddle, and became a principal street in the city during the eighteenth century, providing a thoroughfare between the Parliament House (now Bank of Ireland) and the Castle. It was remodelled and widened by the Wide Street Commissioners in the latter part of the eighteenth century.