Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1790
Corner-sited attached three-bay five-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, having shopfront to front (south) elevation, and single-bay elevation to west. Now in use as shop. Pitched slate roof, hipped to west, hidden behind red brick parapet to front and east having cut granite coping, brown brick chimneystack with clay pots, some cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond, to front and west elevations, channelled render to ground floor of west elevation. Square-headed window openings having moulded masonry surrounds to front, raised render reveals to west elevation, masonry sills, six-over-six pane and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows. Recent timber battened shopfront with square-headed openings and recent fittings. Situated to west end of Dame Street and west side and south end of Crane Lane.
Like many of the buildings on the north side of Dame Street, this building maintains its graduated fenestration pattern, which creates a pleasingly balanced façade. The building maintains an elegant appearance and contributes significantly to the early character of the busy thoroughfare. Thom's Directory of 1862 lists it as the premises of William Baxter, bootmaker to the Lord Lieutenant. Dame Street derives its name from a dam which powered a mill on the River Poddle, and was of considerable importance during the eighteenth century as the thoroughfare between the Parliament House (now Bank of Ireland) and the Castle. The street was widened and remodelled by the Wide Streets Commissioners during the latter part of the eighteenth century.