Survey Data

Reg No

50020045


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Previous Name

The Design Yard


Original Use

House


In Use As

Museum/gallery


Date

1800 - 1840


Coordinates

-1, -1


Date Recorded

17/02/2015


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached four-bay four-storey former house, built c.1820, remodelled 1992, now in use as cultural venue. Hipped roof hidden behind brown brick parapet to front (south) elevation having cut granite coping. Square-headed window openings with cut granite sills and six-over-six pane and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed openings to ground floor forming recent portico with wrought-iron gates. New glazed façade recessed behind portico. Situated on the north side and east end of Essex Street East.

Appraisal

Essex Street was opened in 1674, and named after Arthur Capel, the Earl of Essex and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland at the time. This handsome building is now one of the oldest remaining on the street. It was remodelled by Felim Dunne Associates with Robinson Keefe & Devane. It presents an ordered elevation to the east end of Essex Street East and Temple Bar. The proportions of its upper floor openings give a hierarchy to each floor, creating a pleasantly balanced façade, typical of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century townhouses. Wrought-iron gates, executed by Kathy Prendergast provide textural variation to the façade, and are of contemporary artistic interest, creating a foil to the historic fabric of the façade.