Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c.1820, having shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as public house. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east, hidden behind red brick parapet with cut granite coping, having yellow brick chimneystack and some cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls, laid in Flemish bond. Square-headed window openings with raised render reveals, masonry sills and six-over-six pane and six-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows. Timber shopfront having carved pilasters with foliate and fluted console brackets, cornice and fascia, surrounding square-headed window opening with canted timber framed multiple pane bay windows having masonry sill and brick plinth course. Square-headed door opening with half-glazed double-leaf timber panelled doors and overlight. Steel grille, infilled, to footpath to front. Situated to west end of Wellington Quay.
This building retains historic fabric, including brickwork and joinery, which contributes to its traditional character. It shares proportions and scale with its neighbours to the east, bringing coherence to the quayside. The diminishing scale of fenestration to the upper floor openings attributes a hierarchy to each floor, creating a pleasantly balanced façade, which was typical of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century townhouses. The ornate consoles to the otherwise modest shopfront display skilled carpentry, adding aesthetic interest to the façade and highlighting the artisanship involved in its construction. The infilled grille set in the pavement betrays the existence of the historic basement. Wellington Quay was constructed in the early nineteenth century as an eastward extension of the original Custom House Quay.