Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
1750 - 1770
Terraced two-bay five-storey former house, built c.1760, having shopfront to front (west) elevation, now disused. Hipped roof, set perpendicular to street, hidden behind rebuilt red brick parapet with granite coping to front (west) elevation. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to wall to front, smooth rendered wall to rear (east) elevation. Square-headed window openings with cut granite sills and two-over-two pane, six-over-six pane and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Carved timber shopfront having brackets to fascia and timber panelled shutters to display windows. Square-headed door opening with half-glazed timber panelled double doors and basket-arched overlight. Situated to east side and south end of Parliament Street.
Parliament Street is the first example of formal axial planning in mid-eighteenth-century Dublin. George Semple designed the rebuilding of Essex Bridge (1753-55) and his plan showed a new wide street linking the bridge to Dublin Castle; this plan for Parliament Street was implemented by the Wide Street Commissioners in 1762. This building seems to be one of the earliest surviving buildings on the street. It shares a parapet height with its neighbours, lending a sense of continuity to the streetscape. Significant historic fabric remains, particularly in the shopfront, which enhances the character of the building. The simple shopfront, as well as adding contextual interest to the building, displays skilled carpentry, adding aesthetic interest to the façade and demonstrating the artisanship involved in its construction. The business was established in a different location in 1670, as a sword makers, and in Thom's Directory of 1862 is listed as 'cutlers and surgical instrument manufacturers'. It served as a cutlery shop until closure in 1988. It is reported to retain a very fine 1760s interior which includes early counter tops and display cabinets.