Categories of Special Interest
Cultural, Historical, Social
1745 - 1755
Gardens, laid out c.1750, admission to which funded establishment of Rotunda 'Lying-In' Hospital to south. Rectangular shape, enclosed by cast-iron railings atop moulded granite plinth walling. North end of gardens converted to National Garden of Remembrance in 1960s. Much of south end occupied by Rotunda Hospital and associated later buildings, and southeast corner occupied by rotunda building (now Ambassador Cinema) and by Gate Theatre.
This garden, at the centre of Parnell Square, was laid out as part of the development of this quarter of the city of Dublin. The north end provides a green space in a heavily built-up district. The encroachment of buildings within the southern half, and the loss of many features of the old gardens, has compromised the integrity of this designed landscape.