Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Social Technical
1885 - 1890
Reading room to rear of no. 106 Capel Street, built c.1887. Hipped slate roof with rooflights and having rectangular clerestorey with timber-framed windows and hipped slate roof with finials. Brick walls to Campbell's Court, having recent vehicular entrance. Interior has queen-post timber truss roof with turned and carved members, trusses supported on pilasters, with moulded cornice to all walls.
This reading room was added in the late nineteenth century to a house which was converted to become Dublin's first public library. The quality of timberwork to the roof is notable.