Categories of Special Interest
1915 - 1920
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built 1917 as part of terrace of seven, with shopfront and integral carriage arch to ground floor. Now disused. Flat roof with shared red brick chimneystacks hidden behind red brick parapet wall having limestone coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with channel rusticated brick and limestone soldier quoins framing facade, surmounted by limestone frieze and cornice, and with moulded brick string course over first floor. Gauged brick square-headed window openings with brick keystones, limestone sills and original single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront flanked by Doric pilasters on raised plinths, with limestone and marble pilaster to south side of carriage archway shared with neighbouring property to south, arch having ashlar surround with prominent keystone, and with moulded cornice over shopfront and archway.
This house and shop forms part of a terrace of seven similar buildings and represents the reconstruction of much of Moore Street after the Easter Rising of 1916. The modest scale and detailing are enlivened by the moulded cornice and brick string course and raised quoins and enhanced by the surviving shopfront, exhibiting quality stone and brick masonry skills. The terrace expresses a drop in scale from Henry Street to Moore Street, maintaining a rhythmic composition to the east side of the street while providing a suitable backdrop to the colourful street market.