Categories of Special Interest
1916 - 1950
Terraced three-bay three-storey print works, built c.1922, now vacant. Roof concealed behind brick parapet with granite coping, replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid to Flemish bond from above first floor sill level, ground floor clad in reconstituted stone tiles. Square-headed window openings to first and second floors, double-width central window, all with projecting cast concrete surrounds and sills. Multiple-pane timber window to second floor and replacement uPVC to first floor. Ground floor openings comprise double-height central opening with aluminium roller shutter, with recessed steel door to west end in chamfered concrete surround with multiple-pane over-light over concrete lintel. To east is low-level multiple-pane timber window with steel grille over surmounted by concrete lintel and large multiple-pane timber window. Sign beneath lintel reads 'Independent Newspapers'.
Abbey Street Middle developed from the early eighteenth century, although much of it was destroyed during the 1916 Rising and subsequently rebuilt. This structure is the latest of a number of phases of building and remodeling on the site, dating back to at least the early nineteenth century. The building is a three-storey industrial structure, formerly housing the printing presses of the Independent Newspapers, the headquarters of which was, until recently, also located on the street. It was originally built in 1922 as part of the post-1916 reconstruction of the street to a design by Donnelly, Moore, Keefe & Robinson. The Hennebique building system was employed. It was remodelled 1935 by Donnelly, Moore & Keatinge, and again in 1948 for A. Drucker, although the extent rebuilding is unclear. Although not currently in use it is a rare industrial survivor in this part of the city.