Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1880. Now in commercial use, having recent shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with shared red brick chimneystack to east party wall behind parapet wall with granite coping. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, with red brick engaged pilaster to east of façade, having granite ball finial on square plinth base to top. Diminishing gauged brick segmental-headed window openings with masonry sills, chamfered reveals and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Timber louvered vent to third floor window. Square-headed door opening to west of shopfront having timber panelled door.
The building forms part of a terrace lining the north side of Talbot Street, which was laid out following the sale of Tyrone House in the 1840s. It also forms part of a pair, together prominently sited at the junction of Talbot Street and Marlborough Street. It maintains the parapet height and fenestration rhythm of the street, the design of the window openings and the retention of timber sash windows adding architectural interest to the façade and the streetscape.