Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey house with concealed basement, built c.1800. Now in use as public house, with timber shopfront inserted, c.1880. Roof concealed behind red brick parapet wall with squared granite coping. Yellow brick chimneystack with clay pots shared with No. 5. Flemish bond red brick walls, façade rebuilt, c.1880. Gauged red brick flat-arched window openings with brick reveals and granite sills. Replacement uPVC windows to upper floors. Timber shopfront having panelled pilasters, plinths, stall-risers and fasciaboard reading 'W.J. Kavanagh', with square-headed display window. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and glazed sidelights to draught lobby with coffered panelled walls with glazed timber double-leaf doors to interior. Square-headed door opening with late nineteenth-century timber panelled door giving access to upper floors. Doors open onto granite-flagged street front with delivery grate. Interior having hardwood floors with inset tiled panel stating, 'Little Kavanagh'. Exposed beams with cast-iron supports. Unified internally with No. 5, maintaining section of original yellow brick party wall in English garden wall bond. Victorian timber columns with timber brackets forming screen. Original timber braces screening recent extension, backing onto Hardwicke Place, with some late nineteenth-century fabric extant to entry.
Located on the historic street formerly known as the Great Drogheda Road and later Drumcondra Lane, this townhouse is an integral component of the streetscape. Despite some alterations, a considerable amount of historic fabric remains in-situ, including window surrounds, granite sills and a pleasant shopfront which grants the building a late nineteenth-century aspect. The original timber braces to the interior are of particular interest.