Survey Data

Reg No

50011173


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical


Previous Name

Linen Hall


Original Use

Arch


In Use As

Arch


Date

1780 - 1785


Coordinates

315219, 234852


Date Recorded

02/12/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Round-headed arch, built c.1781, opening from DIT Faculty of Engineering to Yarnhall Street and Henrietta Place. Cut granite walling with rectangular fascia and with moulded surround to top. Granite Tuscan columns on square plinth bases having square capitals with blocking course having round bosses supporting moulded dentillated granite projecting cornice. Rusticated gauged granite voussoirs to arch, moulded bust to keystone. Roughcast rendered wall to rear of arch. Double-leaf cast-iron gate with decorative upper part. Granite wheel-guards flanking entrance.

Appraisal

This well-executed carriage arch, designed by Thomas Cooley, provides an interesting architectural and artistic element on the streetscape. It was formerly the entrance to the City Linenhall and Yarnhall, built for the storage of yarn and linen in the city.