Survey Data

Reg No

50011166


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Public house


Date

1860 - 1900


Coordinates

317752, 234429


Date Recorded

23/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay three-storey house over concealed basement, built c.1880, with pub shopfront inserted to ground floor. M-profile slate roof with roll-moulded black clay ridge tiles and rendered brick chimneystacks rising from west gable with octagonal clay pots. Cast-iron guttering supported on angled brick eaves course, with cast-iron downpipe. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond, rendered to west gable. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Replacement timber pub shopfront spanning ground floor with entrance blocked up. Pair of iron basement grilles set in granite surrounds to front pavement.

Appraisal

This building is a late Victorian townhouse with a public house inserted to the ground floor. The house retains its original fenestration pattern, roof materials and overall composition. Now derelict, the panelled shutters are visible and suggest an intact interior to the upper levels. Now standing as the last remaining residential structure on North Wall Quay, this former house thus has added significance. It was also a popular meeting place for the local community until quite recently.