Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1865
Detached multiple-bay three-storey brick commercial building, built 1862, with central pediment. Showroom to ground floor. Three-storey structure built behind original façade, c.2000. Moulded limestone raking cornice to red brick pediment with two windows below. Pedimented second floor rises from red brick parapet with flush red sandstone blocking course, moulded limestone coping and limestone cornice below. Red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond with yellow brick details to ground floor and yellow brick plinth course. Square-headed window openings to first floor with red sandstone lintels, replacement uPVC windows and resting on continuous limestone cornice framing ground floor. Yellow brick Doric pilasters framing windows to ground floor with sandstone capitals supporting yellow brick frieze and moulded dentillated yellow brick course below limestone cornice. Enlarged display windows to either end with further diminutive window opening having original wrought-iron window grilles. Gauged polychromatic brick round-headed door opening with recessed entrance having replacement uPVC glazed doors and original fanlight with iron grille and dentillated timber lintel. Gauged polychrome brick round-arched window openings to either side with inset bowtell moulded yellow brick surrounds, replacement uPVC windows and original iron grilles on stone sills.
This building was built for the Dublin & Glasgow Steam Packet Company. Now it is essentially a façade retention with a modern building behind, it nevertheless exhibits a wealth of materials and decoration. The third floor disrupts the overall composition but the structure constitutes one of the few pre-twentieth-century structures on this part of the quays and together with the two brick buildings to the east it forms an attractive group which greatly enhances the appeal of the river front.