Survey Data

Reg No

50011162


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1785 - 1805


Coordinates

316651, 235060


Date Recorded

03/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay four-storey house over exposed basement, built c.1795. Pitched slate roof behind parapet wall with squared granite coping. Flemish bond red brick walls, rebuilt over first floor window, with chamfered granite plinth over ruled-and-lined rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with gauged red brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Round-headed door opening with gauged red brick voussoirs and recent concrete reveal. Replacement timber doorcase with replacement fanlight. Door opens onto tiled threshold and platform with cast-iron bootscraper bridging basement area, having pair of cast-iron coal hole covers set in granite slabs and granite kerbing. Moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area with wrought-iron railings.

Appraisal

Located within an expansive terrace, this house forms an integral component of an historic mixed Georgian and Victorian streetscape. Its wide, slightly asymmetrical façade contributes to the rhythm of the streetscape while the voussoirs to the openings, and the granite sills, further articulate the façade. The coal hole cover in the footpath was manufactured by the notable firm of Henshaw of Dublin.